Sunday, November 4, 2012

1971 Suzuki TS250 Project Kickoff!

So hopefully this is the first post of many. I am starting a work blog for my vintage supermoto/trailrider/cafe racer motorcycle project, and hope to update this with some regularity as it progresses. I am starting with a 1971 Suzuki TS250 Savage that I got on the cheap, and hope to end up with something that makes a decent (for 1971) supermoto/trailrider/streetbike/commuter/cafe racer, without breaking my student bank account. This may seem like a tall order, but what I hope for above all is simplicity. This is a running motor and functioning bike as is, but with some elbow grease I think this could be a truly great bike.

The history of this bike is all but known, and what I could tell from the previous  owner is that it was never officially titled and registered. As far as is known, it was predominantly used as a farm or trail bike, despite being bought factory with enduro lights and wiring. The front light is there, but I'm going to have to do some work to install the tail light and indicators. Being without a pickup truck or trailer, making this bike street legal is a top priority. Being an un-titled, un-registered vintage off road vehicle this can get complicated, and I may have a post covering some of the paperwork I am currently having to go through. This sounds intimidating to those who are attempting the same, but after some digging with the DMV here in Oregon I can hopefully outline an easy way for others. Anyway here is a rundown of the bike and some pictures:



The Good

Strong running motor.
No rust to be found anywhere.
Decent wheels and tires (although a supermoto tire is in the future).
Good carburetor, idles well.
Wiring harness in place.
Smooth shifting.
Good compression.


The Bad

Needs replacement oil reservoir.
Seat is junk and needs replacement.
Clutch is heavy.
Needs tail light and indicators wired.
Needs new grips badly.





























No comments:

Post a Comment